Fine Gael Galway West by-election candidate Seán Kyne has been directly contradicted by the former CEO of Inland Fisheries Ireland after claiming the executive “was suspended by the board”.
Speaking in an interview with Gript last Thursday, the Fine Gael senator strongly denied a report alleging that former Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) CEO Francis O’Donnell had accused him of blackmail and harassment in statements made to Gardaí.
“Well I absolutely refute them,” Kyne said.
“Absolutely no truth in that whatsoever.”
Kyne said he had raised concerns about governance and “irregularities” within Inland Fisheries Ireland during the previous Seanad term, adding that he had “not been contacted by the Gardaí or the WRC on this matter”.
While discussing the controversy, Kyne referred to O’Donnell’s departure from the agency.
“The former CEO is the former CEO,” he said.
“He was suspended by the board.”
However, speaking to Gript, O’Donnell strongly denied that claim through his solicitor, Donal O’Loinsigh of Clark Hill Solicitors LLP.
“For the sake of absolute clarity, our client was never suspended by the board of Inland Fisheries Ireland,” the solicitor stated.
“This allegation is denied in the strongest possible terms by our client.”
The solicitor added that O’Donnell would not be making any further comment “at this time”.
During the Gript interview, Kyne also defended his repeated interventions on matters relating to Inland Fisheries Ireland, saying he believed there had been longstanding governance issues within the organisation.
As reported by The Ditch last week, O’Donnell allegedly claimed in statements made to Gardaí in 2022 and 2024 that Kyne had attempted to pressure him in relation to an internal IFI investigation involving another senior official.
According to the outlet, O’Donnell alleged that “an orchestrated campaign of harassment and witness intimidation” had been undertaken by Kyne and others close to him – claims which Kyne strongly denies.
The article also reported that O’Donnell claimed Kyne had used Seanad privilege to make allegations against individuals connected to the dispute.
Kyne strongly denied the allegations during his interview with Gript and said he remained available for any inquiry.
“I’m available for any inquiry on any issue that anyone has,” he said.
Kyne is currently regarded as the frontrunner in the upcoming Galway West by-election.