One of the teenagers killed in the M9 crash in the early hours of Sunday was in the care of Tusla, while two others were known to the agency.
The news was confirmed by Tusla tonight, who said its thoughts were with all those “who have been affected by this tragic accident.”
“We can confirm that one of the young people involved in the serious incident on the M9 on Sunday morning was in the care of Tusla and two of the young people were known to the agency,” it said. “Our staff have been in contact with their families and there is ongoing liaison with An Garda Siochana.”
The teenager who was in Tusla care is understood to be 17-year-old Jack Kennedy, from Athy, who was in a residential placement.
The Irish Independent further reported that Kennedy had lived in care homes in the past, and had been based most recently in Athy, Co Kildare.
The newspaper said he had been arrested by Gardaí in Carlow town with three associates last month after an incident that left an innocent motorcyclist with “life-changing” injuries, including a head injury.
The motorcyclist sustained the injuries after a stolen black Ford Ranger pick-up truck drove into him as it was being chased by Gardaí.
Kennedy was one of four teenagers arrested – however he was released without charge.
“We are mindful of the very challenging and sensitive circumstances surrounding this incident and it is a very traumatic time for individuals, for families, for staff and for wider communities,” the agency said.
The deaths of all three teenagers who were either in its care or known to the agency have been referred to the National Review Panel for investigation.
Five teenagers, named locally as Joe Carthy, Jack Kennedy, Alex McCarthy, Jeremy O’Brien and Kemil Pustkowski, were killed after driving the wrong way — southbound on the northbound carriageway, driving in a high-powered BMW bought days before the crash.
Three sisters and a seven-year-old boy from Co Carlow remain in hospital seriously injured. Two are understood to remain in a critical condition after the “horrific” crash – which raised concerns about the growing phenomenon of deliberately driving the wrong way on motorways and posting the content online for likes and reposts.
The 17-year-old who was considered the leader of the gang in the crash, Kamil Pustkowski, was on bail and banned from leaving the country, according to the Irish Independent.
Pustkowski was well known to the Gardaí and a garda alert was in place for him. He was facing a number of charges before the courts for offences related to being a passenger in stolen vehicles and other matters. He had not been supposed to leave Limerick as part of his bail conditions.
Pustkowski and Kennedy, in particular, had come to the attention of the Gardaí recently for their suspected involvement in stealing cars and dangerous driving.
Both had also been associated with members of the lucky dip gang.
In June, Kennedy was one of six boys who was arrested after a high-speed pursuit, during which a stolen car was driven the wrong way on the M50 motorway.
Kennedy and others were found hiding in the woods by officers in Rathfarnham after they escaped the vehicle involved in the chase.
On June 3, they were arrested and released without charge.
It comes as it emerged that two of the other teenagers who died in the crash, Alex McCarthy and Jeremy O’Brien, were well known to each other and also to Gardaí in Carlow and Athy. Both were closely associated with Joey Carthy, the youngest occupant of the car.
Both Carthy and McCarthy had come to the attention of officers for their alleged involvement in the theft of cars imported from Asia.