The Pentagon has announced that over a dozen missiles were fired by Iran at two US airbases in Iraq on Tuesday night, in an apparent revenge attack for the death of General Qasem Soleimani.
Although no US casualties have been reported, a number of Iraqi servicemen were reportedly injured at Ain al-Asad airbase, whilst the other attack occurred near the northern city of Erbil.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley arrived at the White House following the attack. Qatri al-Obeidi, a commander in the nearby town of al-Baghdadi, said that the shelling has stopped for now. Trump visited the base in December 2018 to visit troops after Christmas. Vice President Mike Pence also visited the base in November 2019. The attack follows last week’s deadly US drone strike that Trump ordered to kill Soleimani. Iranian state TV reported that the IRGC, “has hit U.S. Ain al-Asad airbase in Iraq with tens of missiles.” The IRGC warned the US of more “crushing responses in case of new aggression,” according to state TV. The IRGC said it will target any regional state that becomes a platform for US aggression, a second banner on state TV read.