A vigil is planned to take place on Dublin’s Henry Street this afternoon after the death of Congolese man Yves Salina last Friday.
The gathering, organised by the Congolese Community in Ireland (CCI), with support from anti-racism campaign group United Against Racism Ireland, is due to start at 12 pm.
Salika (35) died after an incident took place in which he was restrained by a number of men who held him to the ground outside the Arnott’s department store last Friday evening at approximately 5 pm.
It is reported that he was an IT worker who had been in Ireland for a number of years.
Although the results of a postmortem have yet to be determined, the incident has sparked controversy, with some commentators alleging that it was racially motivated.
Salika was detained by security personnel in connection with suspected shoplifting, and an injury was caused to an elderly man who is believed to have broken his hip after falling as Salika attempted to flee.
The injured man, identified as ‘Jimmy’, is reported to have routinely stood in the area handing out religious medals.
A spokesperson for the Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) said, “The death of a black man in such circumstances is extremely worrying, and we urge the authorities to thoroughly investigate all of the circumstances leading to this man’s death, in order to ensure minority ethnic community confidence in the criminal justice system.”
Gardaí issued a statement saying, “Investigating Gardaí are appealing for witnesses to come forward. Additionally, they are appealing to anyone with video footage from the Henry Street area between 5 pm and 5:30 pm on Friday, 15th May 2026, to contact them.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact Store Street Garda Station on 01 6668000, the Garda Confidential Line, or any Garda Station.”
A statement issued on behalf of Arnotts said, “We are deeply saddened by the serious incident which occurred outside our Henry Street store on Friday evening.”