The nuns were working as nurses in World War II.
The skeletons of three nuns murdered by Russian soldiers near the end of World War II have been found in northern Poland.
Archaeologists discovered religious habits, rosaries and crucifixes with the bodies of Sister Rolanda (Maria Abraham), Sister Gunhilda (Dorota Steffen) and Sister Bona (Anna Pestka) who had served at the Marian Hospital in Olsztyn, not far from the northern port city of Gdansk.
The women were from the order of St. Catherine of Alexandria, and had been killed alongside four other nuns whose bodies were discovered last year.
Poland itself was overrun by soldiers of the Soviet Union as Nazi Germany pulled back from the country in 1944, with the Red Army maintaining the Nazi’s disdain for Christianity.
“The purpose of the study was the finding of the remains of the Catherine Sisters who fell victim to the soldiers of the Red Army in 1945,” according the Institute of National Remembrance in Poland.
“They all served the sick at the Marian Hospital (St Mary’s Hospital) in Olsztyn.
“They worked as nurses, looking for help for the sick, and the deceased by organizing burials in a nearby cemetery. Where they served, they died there as well – defending themselves against the disgrace of the Red Army soldiers who entered Olsztyn in the winter of 1945.”
The skeletons will now be transferred to Gdansk’s Forensic Medicine Institute for further examination.