Earlier today the alcoholic drink makers Kopparberg and Grolsch both pulled their adverts from the newly launched GB News television station. The companies made the decision following a campaign, begun before GB News launched, which threatened to boycott all GB News advertisers. There have also been unconfirmed reports that a third company also pulled its advertisements from the station earlier today.
GB News, which is headed by veteran journalist Andrew Neil, launched this past Sunday. Whilst there were some technical issues with the launch the viewership of GB News over the launch night averaged 164,400 people, triple that of Sky News. Reaction to the launch amongst British media was divided neatly along ideologically lines, with the Guardian giving the launch one star and the Telegraph giving it four stars.
Both Kopparberg and Grolsch have released statements saying that they had been unaware that their adverts had been placed on GB News. Kopparberg have said they have suspended all ads from GB News “pending further reviews of its content.”
Grolsch have released a far stronger statement, which says said they were “in the process of investigating” how their adverts had been placed on GB News. The statement goes on to say that “Grolsch is a brand that prides itself on core values of inclusion and openness to all people, and we want to be clear that we do not associate ourselves with any platform or outlets that go against these values.” Grolsch, the statement ends, will “do everything we possibly can to ensure that Grolsch does not appear on this channel again.” No evidence was provided in the statement to support the idea that GB News goes against the values of “inclusion and openness to all people.”