A Fianna Fáil Senator running in the European elections in June has celebrated the endorsement of former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern as a “wonderful boost” to his campaign.
Senator Niall Blaney, who is running in the Midlands-North-West constituency alongside Senator Lisa Chambers and TD Barry Cowen, is the party’s spokesman on Northern Ireland and party lead on the Good Friday Agreement Implementation Committee.
In a statement published this morning, Ahern said that Blaney had “all the right credentials for the job,” adding that he was “delighted” to give him his “full support and endorsement.”
Blaney, who described Ahern as a “peace builder”, hailed the endorsement, describing Ahern as a “revered and greatly admired” figure.
“To receive the support of a leader of the stature of Bertie Ahern is a wonderful boost to my campaign to win a seat for Fianna Fáil,” he said.
He added: “Bertie is a revered and greatly admired former leader of my party and former Taoiseach who worked tirelessly for peace in Northern Ireland. What we have today is due in no small way to his dedication to the task of peacebuilding.”
Blaney said that that he would “fully commit to being the standard-bearer for Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Sligo, Louth and Donegal,” adding: “The region has been left unattended and ignored for too long, and I intend to change that from day one.”
He further described himself as “the only border candidate in this election” – though this appears to be untrue, as Donegal businessman Peter Casey is also contesting the race in the Midlands-North-West constituency, as is Tyrone native Michelle Gildernew.
Blaney has appeared at public meetings with Ahern in Donegal recently on the campaign trail, welcoming Ahern’s backing.
Public meeting time! @fiannafailparty @OgraFFDonegal @McConalogue pic.twitter.com/yI6mYJsPqP
— Senator Niall Blaney (@niall_blaney) May 2, 2024
Last February Ahern made headlines when he announced that he was returning to the Fianna Fáil party after 11 years.
He originally left in 2012 as the party was considering expelling him over the controversial findings of Mahon Tribunal against him.
He has also consistently been coy when asked whether he intends to run for the presidency in the upcoming 2025 election.
Bertie Ahern has been asked again whether or not he will run for president. This was the former Taoiseach’s reply:#gripthttps://t.co/IyuBZ7kYNy
— gript (@griptmedia) April 20, 2023
At the time of his return last year, many Fianna Fáil TDs celebrated the news as a great development for the party, with several saying they were “delighted” to have him back.
One TD added: “We don’t live in a cancel culture.”
“We don’t live in a cancel culture”: Fianna Fáil politicians are happy that Bertie Ahern is returning to the party, with one former minister claiming Ahern is still “hugely popular” with the general public.#gripthttps://t.co/FrlMBVFQbO
— gript (@griptmedia) February 9, 2023
Shortly before Ahern had announced his return, Fianna Fáil leader and then-Taoiseach Micheál Martin was asked about the possibility of his predecessor coming back.
“As far as I am concerned, it’s ten years on,” said Martin, when asked if he would allow Ahern to rejoin Fianna Fáil.
“I’m conscious of the contribution he has made to peace in the country. He made a very significant contribution.”
Micheál Martin says he supports Bertie Ahern’s return to Fianna Fáil because of his contributions to the Good Friday Agreement. But previously, Martin said this “could not absolve” Ahern of the Mahon Tribunal’s findings:#gripthttps://t.co/4E8y5gnnVM
— gript (@griptmedia) February 10, 2023
However, in 2012, Martin had previously said: “Achievements like the Good Friday Agreement are real, and enduring. But they cannot absolve Bertie Ahern from facing the implications of this tribunal report.”