C: Wikipedia Commons https://bit.ly/3Eob7dj https://bit.ly/3FhjxEB

“I’m Delighted”: Piers Morgan Rejoices as GMB Ofcom Complaint Rejected

Presenter Piers Morgan says he is “delighted” after a British regulator found he was not in violation of broadcasting codes despite a huge volume of complaints.

“I’m delighted Ofcom has endorsed my right to disbelieve the Duke & Duchess of Sussex’s incendiary claims to Oprah Winfrey, many of which have proven to be untrue,” Morgan tweeted.

Good Morning Britain was not in violation of the broadcasting code over Piers Morgan’s controversial comments about the Duchess of Sussex, Ofcom has said today.  The UK government-approved regulator for broadcasting and telecommunications had received more than 50,000 complaints about the programme in March, including from the Duchess of Sussex herself, which focused on Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Although Ofcom stated that Morgan’s comments about suicide and mental health had the potential to be highly offensive, it concluded that the show “contained sufficient challenge to provide adequate protection and context to viewers”.

In Morgan’s statement tweeted this morning, he shared a screenshot of Ofcom’s concluding remarks, writing above it: “BREAKING: ⁦@Ofcom rejects all complaints against me over Meghan Markle furore that led to my exit from ⁦@GMB. Verdict says I was entitled to disbelieve her & Prince Harry & to restrict my right to do so would be a ‘chilling restriction on freedom of expression.’”

The tweet has so far gathered over 25,000 likes on twitter.  Some comments challenged Morgan, whilst many applauded him over the dispute.

“Well done Piers. The right conclusion prevailed. A good day for freedom of speech,” wrote one commenter.  Another encouraged Good Morning Britain to rehire Morgan, who stood down from the programme.  “Yesss good! Now @GMB do the right thing and offer @piersmorgan his job back!!!!”

The controversial but hugely popular host left the programme back in March, bringing his time on the show to an end after six years.   On the show which aired the Monday following Meghan Markle’s and Prince Harry’s now infamous Oprah interview, Morgan said that he “didn’t believe a word” the duchess had told Winfrey about her mental health in that interview.  ITV announced the decision on the evening of March 9th after Ofcom said it had launched an investigation under its harm and offence rules following a record 57,121 complaints.  It became one of the regulator’s most complained about TV moments ever.

In the immediate aftermath of Morgan’s dramatic exit, the UK’s Daily Star reported that ratings had plummeted by a whopping 358,000 in the space of two days following Morgan’s departure.

An Ofcom spokesman said today: “This was a finely balanced decision. Mr Morgan’s comments were potentially harmful and offensive to viewers, and we recognise the strong public reaction to them.

“But we also took full account of freedom of expression. Under our rules, broadcasters can include controversial opinions as part of legitimate debate in the public interest, and the strong challenge to Mr Morgan from other contributors provided important context for viewers.

“Nonetheless, we’ve reminded ITV to take greater care around content discussing mental health and suicide in future. ITV might consider the use of timely warnings or signposting of support services to ensure viewers are properly protected.”

Whether or not Piers will go back to Good Morning Britain though does remain in question as he previously ruled out a return despite it being reported that the show’s staff want him back.

The presenter stressed ‘this won’t be happening’ because ‘I still don’t believe a word Pinocchio Princess’, referring to the Duchess of Sussex.

Share mdi-share-variant mdi-twitter mdi-facebook mdi-whatsapp mdi-telegram mdi-linkedin mdi-email mdi-printer mdi-chevron-left Prev Next mdi-chevron-right Related
Comments are open

The biggest problem Ireland faces right now is:

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...