Last weekend, Zimbabwean media outlets reported that a man wanted for the murder of three people was allegedly living in Ireland as an asylum seeker under a false name. While Gardai have said they are investigating, they also say they have not found the fugitive in Ireland.
The Sunday Mail in Zimbabwe reported that Peter Dube, who is sought on charges of murdering three people, was a fugitive who had left the country for South Africa and then changed identity when relocating to Ireland where he sought asylum.
Police spokesman Assistant Commissioner, Paul Nyathi, told the Sunday Mail that Dube allegedly “relocated to Ireland, where he sought asylum”.
Dube is alleged to have shot dead the suspected lover of his second wife Nyasha Nharingo in Gweru in April 2021.
Nyasha’s friend Gamuchirai Mudungwe was also shot and killed in the deadly incident, and her sister Nyaradzo also died in the hospital after being shot.
Police chief Nyathi claimed that the Zimbabwean authorities had been in touch with Interpol and that Dube was now on the ‘Red Notice’ list, which is a request to law enforcement worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action.
However, the Red List does not appear to have Dube listed at this point in time.
The Irish Mirror reported that a Gard probe was underway and that source had said: “We are happy he is not at the facility named in the media and we have found zero evidence that he is here at all. Inquiries are continuing, but at this stage there is nothing to suggest he is in Ireland”.
It’s understood by the paper that gardai are now using Interpol to ask for more details from Zimbabwe police.
The Garda Press Office told Gript: “We are aware of your query. We will be in touch when we have a response.”
Zimbabwean media outlets claimed that the suspected murderer was now in Dublin and staying in West Dublin, though this claim has not been verified.
This story will be updated as developments occur.