A man in his sixties is to appear before the courts in relation to a fatal road traffic accident which claimed the lives of two teenage girls last year.
The man is scheduled to appear before Monaghan District Court this morning, Monday 11th of March.
The accident which took place last July resulted in the deaths of Kiea McCann (17) and Dlava Mohamed (16) who were on the way to their debs ball with their class from Largy College in Co Monaghan.
The crash also left the driver of the car – a man in his sixties – in a critical condition while two other passengers -both aged 18 – were hospitalised.
In the aftermath of the fatal crash which took place on the 31st of July last year Gript reported a Garda statement which said, “Two female teenagers (aged 16 and 17 years), who were passengers of the car, were fatally injured during the collision,” adding that their bodies had “been removed from the scene to Monaghan General Hospital,” where post-mortem examinations were to take place today.
Another female teenager (aged 18 years) was said to be in “a critical condition and currently receiving treatment in Cavan General Hospital,” while another male teenager (aged 18 years) was said to be receiving treatment in Cavan General Hospital “for non-life threatening injuries”.
The driver of the vehicle, a man aged 60, was also said to be in a critical condition and receiving treatment in Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
In the aftermath of the crash, Minister Heather Humphreys who visited the school said, “This is a very very sad day for Clones. There’s a cloud over the town. People just feel so upset and just numbed by the tragedy,”
More to follow.