A proposal to rename Cork GAA’s famed Páirc Uí Chaoimh as “Supervalu Park” has stirred up huge controversy, with the grandson of the man after whom the park is named saying he is “deeply shocked and saddened” by the plans.
A debate has raged online since yesterday with many commentators saying that Pairc Uí Chaoimh is a “cultural cornerstone of Cork” and that its name should not be “sold to the highest bidder”.
The stadium was opened and named after Pádraig Uí Chaoimh in 1974, described as a “legendary” GAA figure from Cork who served as the General Secretary of the GAA from 1929 to 1964. However, Cork GAA bosses are now considering rebranding it as SuperValu park in a deal reported to be worth €1million.
The brand deal would bring in hundreds of thousands of euros per year, representing a boost for Cork County Board – with the stadium reported to be in debt “north of €30 million.” CEO of Cork GAA, Kevin O’Donovan previously made reference to hopes to have the debt addressed in around 15 years.
The Irish Examiner reported on the proposal on Monday, saying first naming rights were likely to go to Irish retail giant SuperValu.
“A multi-layered naming rights deal for Páirc Uí Chaoimh, worth between €250,000 and €300,000 a year to Cork GAA, will be tabled for County Board delegates to ratify on Tuesday night.
“The proposed title sponsor for the stadium’s historic first naming rights will be SuperValu, with Cork’s headquarters to be rebranded SuperValu Páirc or Park.”
The reaction online was one of sadness for many GAA fans, who said the name of one of Ireland’s most important stadiums should be protected.
Fans said the city’s main stadium losing its name would be detrimental, with one writing on X, formerly Twitter, “SuperValu Park” is not only a dagger in the hears of Cork GAA supporters but, it’s also an insult to Padraig O’Caoimh’s family.”
Others claimed it would represent a “demotion of Irish,” as it would change the language used to name the ground.
“Greed before history or our own language,” another fan said, describing a possible renaming as “erasing history.”
Other fans took to social media to lambaste the idea as “disgraceful” and awful.” Others seemed incredulous, with some wondering if the new name was “an April fool’s joke.”
Tánaiste and Cork native Micheál Martin was among those to voice opposition to the proposals, saying he was personally “deeply disappointed and annoyed” by the plans.
“Padraig Uí Chaoimh was a key figure in the formation of the GAA at club and national level. Govt allocated €30million ($32.6million) towards the development of the stadium and never sought naming rights,” Mr Martin said.
The grandson of Padraig Uí Chaoimh’s said on Monday that he had only learned about the proposals through the media, writing on X:
“As Padraig O’Caoimh’s grandson I’m just learning about this decision tonight through the media. Nobody from the GAA reached out to me to tell me this was being discussed. I’m in shock and saddened tonight.”
Thanks @RealPMurphy , as Padraig O'Caoimh's grandson I’m just learning about this decision tonight through the media. Nobody from the GAA reached out to me to tell me this was being discussed. I’m in shock and saddened tonight. https://t.co/Buo1bok8nT
— Dónal Ó Caoimh (@donalocaoimh) January 15, 2024
Dónal Ó Caoimh also told the Irish Examiner that his grandfather’s dream was “inclusivity: to have a GAA-owned pitch in every parish,” as he described the planned rebrand as “galling.”
“Under his stewardship, the GAA became the biggest amateur association of its kind in the world,” he said.
“It is galling to me that SuperValu would consider making the eradication of my grandfather’s legacy a condition of sponsorship.
“The gateway is open for the sale of our heritage and narrative for profit.
“My grandfather’s story inspires young players to dream,” he added.
“You take away the absence of focus on money and corporations from games and you have lost what makes the GAA unique.”
The plans are reportedly now on pause, with Cork GAA confirming on Tuesday that it was in discussions with SuperValu regarding the naming rights for the grounds.
“While no matter had been finalised prior to the meeting of delegates to the County Board on Tuesday evening, both sides have been conscious of the public debate that followed recent speculation in the media,” it said in a statement.
“SuperValu and Cork GAA remain committed to continuing their engagement, as both parties share a common interest in supporting Gaelic games across the county, and discussions are continuing.”
Speaking on Wednesday, CEO of Cork GAA, Kevin O’Donovan, CEO of Cork GAA, told 96FM that negotiations are “ongoing.”
“We gave a significant commercial update on all our commercial partnerships across the board at the stadium and Cork GAA,” he said.
“As part of that, we gave an update on naming rights. Naming rights, the story continues. We’re ongoing negotiations. We confirm that we’re having those discussions with SuperValu at the moment.”
“They’re very complex deals in terms of various elements, they’re a bit more complex than jersey sponsorships or other partnerships so we’ll be considering all aspects of the deal and continuing a great discussion with SuperValu, who have very similar ideals as we have in terms of community focus and so on. So there’s a great match there and we’ll continue discussions.”
In a statement posted on Wednesday, Dónal Ó Caoimh said he was “relieved” that the Cork County Board had not approved the renaming of the grounds on Tuesday night.
“Hopefully now this time will give an opportunity for reflection [and] debate on how we can both safeguard the sustainable financial health of the Cork GAA and retain my grandfather’s legacy and his place in the hearts and identity of the Irish people,” he said.
“I greatly welcomed both the Tánaiste @MichealMartinTD and the Lord Mayor of Cork, @Cllr @cllrkmac ‘s public opposition to the rebrand as SuperValu Páirc and calls for compromise yesterday.
“I hope an agreement can be reached where our heritage, history, and identity can be balanced against financial necessity. One potential solution is the name SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
“I know that SuperValu has made such a valuable contribution to Irish communities. I also greatly appreciate the coverage the media has given to the issue especially in light of the banning of the media from yesterday’s Cork County Board meeting. I look forward to further open and transparent public debate in the coming days.”
My statement following the outcome of yesterday’s Cork County Board meeting.
I am relieved that the Cork County Board did not approve the renaming of Páirc Uí Chaoimh SuperValu Páirc last night as no vote was taken and that the Cork GAA are continuing their discussions with 1/5 pic.twitter.com/bmWf44Bv6E
— Dónal Ó Caoimh (@donalocaoimh) January 17, 2024