Photo credit: Unsplash

Nearly 90% of Covid deaths occurred in hospitals or nursing homes

Almost 30% of Covid deaths in Ireland took place in nursing homes according to newly released CSO data.

Between March of 2020 and February of 2022, a total of 29% of Covid deaths (1,564) took place in nursing home settings, while 59% (3,176) took place in general or orthopaedic hospitals, meaning a total of 88% died between these two locations.

Of the 5,384 deaths in total over that period, 106 (or 1.9%) occurred in private hospitals, while 257 (4.8%) took place in the person’s home.

Moreover, the demographics that passed away as a result of the virus were overwhelmingly elderly. 42% of those who died were over the age of 85.

75% were over 75, and 91% were over 65.

As of July of last year, dozens of Irish families were in the process of taking legal action against various nursing homes, alleging wrongful death of their relatives and negligence during the pandemic.

In late December of 2021, it was reported that as many as 856 patients died after catching Covid-19 in a hospital setting while inside for an unrelated issue.

This includes a 71-year-old man from Mayo who went in with a broken shoulder and ended up contracting the virus in hospital and dying 5 weeks later.

Additionally, in June of this year, CMO Dr. Tony Holohan reported that a “significant” number of people were becoming infected with Covid-19 inside hospitals.

 

 

Share mdi-share-variant mdi-twitter mdi-facebook mdi-whatsapp mdi-telegram mdi-linkedin mdi-email mdi-printer mdi-chevron-left Prev Next mdi-chevron-right Related
Comments are open

The biggest problem Ireland faces right now is:

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...