Fine Gael Councillor Shay Cullen has told Gript that planned housing for 950 refugees in Annamoe in Co Wicklow will now not proceed. The Wicklow Councillor says he has received confirmation on the matter from the facility operator for the site, Pastures New Limited.
A meeting in Annamoe, which is close to the historical site of Glendalough, last week heard local people say that a village of 100 people could not take almost 1,000 newcomers.
Speaking to Gript, Cllr Cullen said: “Concerns were raised about the validity of the contract with Pastures New Limited and that was something that was focused on at our recent public meeting with residents.”
“There were huge concerns from the community which were aired at a recent public meeting, we have worked hard to reverse the decision, and thankfully the pressure has paid off and the facility will not be going ahead”
Asked if he felt there was a sense of a change in attitudes around the country about the issue of immigration and how it was being dealt with, Cllr Cullen said:
“There seems to be a sense that the government is firefighting and there are concerns about the serious lack of planning, the country is full in terms of accommodation available. We are building more houses than ever but the benefit of that is not being seen. It is not right to bring Ukrainian people into this country and put them into tents in a field.”
In regard to a cap or pause on immigration, Clr Cullen said: “That is not something I can answer, but there are genuine concerns, and communities are starting to get really concerned that there is no generally no consultation with them from the Department and have concerns about the haphazard way that the issue is being managed.”
Speaking to Gript this morning, Cllr. John Snell said:
“People from all across the area have been on to me constantly since this plan was first announced. People who are genuinely concerned about their community, people who have lived here for generations.”
“You saw the frustration at the public meeting. The issue was raised in the chamber yesterday at the Council Meeting and the overwhelming consensus was that this made no sense for the community or for those people seeking refuge and a letter was being drafted from Wicklow Co. Council to stop the facility going ahead. A lot of people have been on to me seeking confirmation that the facility will not go ahead but I am awaiting confirmation from either the department or the council”

“We don’t know who’s going to be coming in,” one woman said. “Is this the end of our walking in Wicklow?”
Plans to house 950 Ukrainians in a village of about 100 people in rural Wicklow have caused concern among local residents.#Gript pic.twitter.com/5muLizTNOB
— gript (@griptmedia) November 2, 2023