Gardaí investigating the disappearance and murders of Jo Jo Dullard and Deirdre Jacob have today launched a search operation at the same site in Co. Wicklow.
The two young women went missing separately in the 1990s, with both unsolved cases having been upgraded to murder investigations in recent years.
Kilkenny woman Josephine ‘Jo Jo’ Dullard disappeared in November 1995 while hitchhiking home from Callan, Co Cavan, after making a final phone call from a phone box in Moone, Kildare. The 21-year-old’s case was upgraded to a murder investigation in 2020, and despite a suspect arrest in November 2024, no-one has ever been charged.
Deirdre Jacob, an 18-year-old trainee teacher, disappeared from her home in Newbridge, Co Kildare, in July 1998 during a visit home from college. In August 2018. An Garda Síochána announced that her disappearance was being treated as a murder case.
In a statement released on Monday, An Garda Síochána said the search operation is commencing on open ground in a location in Co. Wicklow, close to the Wicklow / Kildare border. They say that the area of land in question will be searched and subject to excavation, technical and forensic examinations over the coming days.
Land close to the Wicklow border was reached last year in relation to the murder of Jo Jo Dullard, however nothing was found and the suspect arrested in relation to her murder was released without charge.
Today marks a significant development in both cases, with the announcement of open land being searched for both women. An Garda Síochána have said they continue to keep an open mind into these investigations and follow up any information which is brought to the investigation team based at the Serious Crime Review Team.
The search operation is being led by the Serious Crime Review Team, Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation supported by the Garda National Technical Bureau and local resources from Kildare Division as required. Gardaí have stressed that there have been no new arrests.
The search operation has the support of other state expertise, if required.
“An Garda Síochána has been and continues to keep the families of Jo Jo Dullard and Deirdre Jacob updated in relation to these investigations and they have been fully appraised of Monday’s developments,” the force said in a statement, adding:
“An Garda Síochána appeals to anyone with any information, no matter how small or insignificant you might believe it to be to contact any Garda station, or anyone who wishes to provide information confidentially should contact the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.”