Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath has told the Dáil that there is a “single narrative” around immigration, urging: “All voices must be heard” as he asked the government and media to treat protestors in Roscrea with “fair play and respect.”
Last week, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar made international headlines after he said he was “disappointed” over clashes between locals and Gardai in the town over the housing of International Protection applicants at a hotel.
“Ireland is a republic, we’re a democracy, we’re a free country and in a free country and democracy people have the right to protest and hold views that other people may find objectionable,” Mr Varadkar said last Tuesday, adding:
“However, no one has the right to engage in violence against individuals, damage property or prevent people getting to their home or work.
“That’s anti-democratic, that’s anti freedom and that’s against the spirit and values of our nation.”
Deputy Mattie McGrath, a local TD in the area who has supported the protestors, told the house that describing everyone with a “contrary opinion” as “far-right” does “not cut the mustard,” adding: “It is disingenuous, it is not fair, and it is not right.”
Taking to social media, Deputy McGrath said the government, the media and the left ‘love to intentionally misconstrue and straw man the people with whom they disagree.”
He said that no one was “against” qualified people from other countries coming to Ireland legally in manageable numbers to work, pay taxes and integrate into the community and culture.
Deputy McGrath, during the debate, in which Post-European Council Meeting statements were heard, urged the government to make it easier for businesses to get work permits, so that Ireland could secure more skilled labour in ireland from overseas.
During the exchange, he accused in the government and the media of treating protestors in Roscrea in a manner which amounted to “an absolute disgrace.”
The Tipperary TD’s comments followed his attendance at a rally in Roscrea on Saturday, during which demonstrators pledged to continue protesting at the Racket Hall Hotel until the government listens. Protests began in the north Tipperary town earlier this month when it emerged that the government had proposed placing 160 people claiming international protection in the town’s only operational hotel.
“It is shocking what happened in Roscrea. There are very welcoming people in Roscrea. Over the years, they have accepted many foreign nationals who are working in the workforce there,” Deputy McGrath said on Wednesday.
He said that there was a “delay” at present in securing work permits and visas, adding that companies and businesses were having to put up money first, before facing “huge” delays.
He said that while migration has been in Ireland for decades, and has “benefited our economy greatly,” the situation Ireland now finds itself in “is extremely difficult.”
“There is a single narrative,” he claimed, adding: “All voices must be heard. We cannot have this single narrative where we cannot call on anybody who has issues. She said that she stood up in a public meeting to defend the system and condemn people on the far right. Describing everyone with a contrary opinion or voice as “far right” does not cut the mustard, however; it is disingenuous, it is not fair and it is not right.”
Referring to Saturday’s rally, the TD said he had met a Polish man who spoke at the Rally, having been in Roscrea with his family for 20 years.
“There is integration and they are respectable people,” he said of the protestors. “The whole media tarnishing them as far right and as extremists is shocking, disgraceful, untrue and unfair. There has been no consultation.
“Every time there is an incident, we hear there will be better consultation. This has been going on since Deputy Ring, the Minister of State’s colleague, stood on the Government benches in 2019 and looked for consultation and a public debate and, of course, he did not get it.”
He said that what happened in Roscrea “was to take the only functioning hotel out of the town,” adding:
“It is the only place people can use for social cohesion and events. There were staff working there who were literally told overnight that they could not work. We need to do this better and to listen to people.
“The Minister, Deputy O’Gorman, needs to go down to Roscrea and sit down with a subcommittee of that group of people who are still at the hotel. They did not and would not stop anybody from going in there. There was absolutely no attempt by the Garda Síochána to negotiate or to ask for a mediator. It was disgraceful. There were many people who could have done that. I would have travelled and done that. I have often been involved in protests where there is always a mediator and negotiations.”
The TD said that the situation had been “extremely mishandled” by An Garda Síochána, descriving their actions as “heavy-handed.”
“Those are men and women, grannies and grandparents, people who work and live there. Another Minister said how were they out there when they should be working. They are working. Some have taken holidays and leave and come off shifts and come there in the rota. They are genuine people, not racists or bigoted and not in any way discriminatory.
“They want their town to be recognised where enough is enough. They have 600 already. Some 85% of the International Protection Accommodation Services, IPAS, applicants in Tipperary are in one town, Roscrea. Fair play is fine play with me but the people of Roscrea need fair play and respect.”
“The Government then offers the people another hotel that is not even for sale. Tá sé dúnta ar feadh 12 bhliain. The Government might open it, buy it and might do it up. It is patent nonsense, reactionary and is not helpful to the situation. There are good people in Tipperary. They are the best of people in Roscrea. They want to integrate but they want to be respected and negotiated with and not bulldozed. Gabhaim buíochas,” he added.
The issue of migration was also raised by Fianna Fáil TD Deputy Seán Haughey, who said it had become clear that migration had become a “major issue” in Ireland and globally.
“Most sensible people in the country fully understand the benefits of migration but we certainly need an informed and respectful debate about the processes that are in place for dealing with applications for international protection,” he said.
“Linked to this are concerns about the accommodation of international protection applicants. Acquiring more commercial hotels for this purpose is not the way to go. The State should be developing its own sites to provide this accommodation as a matter of urgency.”
He added that people have “legitimate questions that deserve answers,” saying there was an “information deficit” on this subject, which was something the government had to take responsibility for.
“Let us have the debate and we will then have to decide whether Ireland is to opt in to the various measures proposed in the EU pact on asylum and migration. It is very important that the Dáil be kept fully informed of Government thinking on these various measures in the coming months.”
Deputy Cathal Crowe, meanwhile, said that Ireland could be “very proud” to the role it has played in taking in international protection applicants and those from Ukraine.
The TD said the system needs to be “more agile,” adding that Ireland’s immigration system was being used by many “through the right means, but that others are abusing it.”
“If someone does not have the right to seek asylum in this country,” he said, “They need to leave this country. If someone has the right to be in this country, the process needs to be sped up.”
“They should not be living in a state of limbo like many of our locals at the Knockalisheen centre (in Meelick, Co Clare) have been for ten or 12 years. It has to be a far more agile system. If they have a right to be here and that is fully proven, they need to stay here. Their status needs to be legitimised so they can fully assimilate, work in society and educate their children. If they do not, sorry but they need to go back to a country that can safely meet their needs.”
Meanwhile, referring back to Deputy Mattie McGrath’s remarks, Minister of State at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Deputy Peter Burke, said that Ireland, as part of the United Nations, had obligations in the first instance regarding asylym seekers.
He said these obligations came under the UN Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adding: “It is very important that we live up to those obligations.”